Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us |

Housing Choice Voucher

Housing Programs

Normal View Large Veiw Extra Large View

The Housing Choice Voucher Program (HCV)

This is a Federal program for assisting low and very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing (that they choose) in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhouses or apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program. The program also allows its participants to use the voucher after the first year of admissions (if the applicant was not a current resident of Clark County when they applied) anywhere in the Nation. This segment of the program is entitled Portability. The term Section 8 is used to describe the various Housing Choice Voucher Programs.

The SNRHA administers 10,149 Housing Choice Vouchers that allow families to rent in the private market and receive a subsidy towards their rent. With this assistance, residents are able to pay approximately 30-40 percent of their annual adjusted income toward rent, while the SNRHA pays the remainder. The SNRHA helps provide housing to approximately 38,000 people under this program.

HCV Program

Housing choice vouchers are administered locally by the Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority (SNRHA). The SNRHA receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program.

A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family's present residence if it meets program requirements. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety as determined by the SNRHA. The rent must be verified by SNRHA as reasonable. The family cannot pay more than 40% of their adjusted income during the first year of the lease.

A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord/owner directly by the SNRHA via direct deposit on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.


Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the SNRHA based on the total annual gross income and family size. Participation in this program is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status as defined by HUD. In general, the family's income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, the SNRHA must provide 75 percent of its vouchers to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income (Federal extremely-low category). Median income levels are published by HUD and vary by location. See SNRHA income limits.

Click to Apply >>

Project Based Voucher Program

These developments are privately owned. The Housing Authority determines initial eligibility and maintains the waiting list. The owner of these properties will make the final decision to accept or reject an applicant as a tenant.

  • The Juan Garcia property is privately owned and includes units from 1 to 4 bedrooms. The subsidies are tied to the actual units.
  • Coronado Drive Apartments has 30 units and includes 1 to 2 bedrooms for seniors/disabled families only.


Applicants must be currently on the Project-Based waiting list. These developments have additional restrictions on their units. Therefore, after SNRHA eligibility is determined, management at each site will also determine their program eligibility.

Click to Apply >>

Special Section 8-Housing Choice Vouchers:

Family Unification Program (FUP)

The Family Unification Program provides Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance to families whose lack of adequate housing is a primary cause of separation, or imminent separation, of a child or children from their families.

The Family Unification Program (FUP) provides Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance to families whose lack of adequate housing is a primary cause of the separation or imminent separation, of a child or children from their families. FUP assistance is provided to eligible families so that children will not be separated from their parents because of lack of permanent, safe, decent, and sanitary housiing.


Eligible families must be referred by the County of Clark’s Department of Family Services (DFS). No applications can be submitted directly to SNRHA by individuals. If applicants are on the current HCV wait list, we will refer you to DFS for a referral for these specific vouchers. Please contact Clark County of Department of Family Services (DFS) for referral information.

Number of Participants: 300

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program (VASH)


The Department of Housing Services wants to help homeless US Military Veterans obtain, and retain, permanent housing. To help us meet this goal, we now offer rental assistance through a unique new program called VASH. The HUD Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program (VASH) provides rental assistance vouchers specifically targeted to homeless veterans. Public housing authorities such as ours, work closely with Veteran Affairs Centers to manage the program. In addition to the rental assistance, VA Health Care for Homeless Veterans Centers provides supportive services and case management to eligible homeless veterans.

The Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority (SNRHA) has received an award for 630 VASH vouchers during the last seven years to serve homeless veteran households. If you are a homeless veteran, we encourage you to consider enrolling in this program by contacting our local Veteran Office at (702) 791-9077. Be advised that you cannot apply directly with the Housing Authority. All applicants must be referred by the Veteran's Administration staff.

The household must be homeless and include at least one US Military Veteran. Single persons, couples, and families with children are eligible to apply and MUST be referred to the Housing Authority by VA staff.

Other eligibility criteria:

Income: Total household income must not be more than 50% of the Area Median Income (also called "Very Low Income"). Currently, this limit is $22,800 for a 1-person household, $26,050 for a 2-person household and 29,300 for a 3-person household. A complete listing of the Very Low Income limits can be found under the heading "HUD Program Income Limits" on HUD's website or at snvrha.org.

Homeless: The household must lack a fixed, regular, night time residence, or be residing in a emergency shelter, or be residing in a place not meant for habitation (such as a car, tent, abandoned building, or substandard housing that does not provide adequate shelter). Homelessness must be verified by a third party, such as a social service agency, Veterans Services Officer, or other knowledgeable professional.

Engagement with Services: The Veteran must be willing to engage in services from the Department of Veterans Affairs, through the VA Health Care Homeless Veterans (HCHV) Department located at 926 West Owens, Las Vegas, Nevada 89106. The phone number is:(702) 791-9077.
Criminal background check: Sex offenders subject to lifetime registration are not eligible for this program. There are no other criminal background criteria for the VASH program.

To Apply for the HUD-VASH Program
Go to the Health Care for Homeless Veterans (HCHV) Veterans Office located at 926 West Owens, Las Vegas, Nevada 89106. VA staff will assist you with the application and determine initial eligibility for a referral to the Housing authority. Please bring a copy of your DD 214 (preferable) or other ID. If you do not have your DD 214 or other ID, staff at the VA will assist you in obtaining these documents and all other information that you will need.
At the HCHV Community Center, ask for a Social Worker, who will then enter a consult and provide whatever additional resources are available.
If it appears you are eligible for the VASH program, you will be referred to the Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority for screening.

Payment Standards:

The Payment Standards are the maximum amount of subsidy that the Housing Authority is allowed to pay on behalf of our clients for rental assistance according to their bedroom size. It is based on the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Fair Market Rent Study. The income limits are HUD's established limits for initial income eligibility. Extremely-low and low-income is for Section 8 –Housing Choice Voucher Program. Low-income is for Public Housing. Income limits are established by the number of family members in the household at the time of admission into the program for which they have applied. See SNRHA income limits.

Reporting Changes in Household or Income:

If you have any changes in your household composition, including marriage or birth of a child, you must report this change in writing within 10 calendar days of the change to your caseworker. Please Do Not Call, as that will not be considered as reporting the change. Caseworkers cannot accept changes over the phone. Please attach copies of the birth certificate, marriage license, or other related documents.

  • Please complete this form: Report of change in Income/Family Composition and return by mail. Put your caseworker's name on the outside of the envelope please.

  • All income changes must also be reported within 10 Calendar Days in Writing. Please attach copies of pay stubs (at least 2) if you get a new job or a raise. If you lose your job, attach your original termination or layoff notice. Please ensure that your employer's address is on these documents.

  • Please mail these documents in with the completed change notice. Keep copies of anything you submit to our agency for future reference.

  • Please remember that failure to report changes will result in the termination of your assistance!

Helpful Hints to Keep Your Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Assistance:

SNRHA has developed this "Helpful Hints Brochure" as a tool to assist you in being a successful Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) participant.

En Español: SNRHA creo este "Folleto de Consejos Provechosos" como un instrumento parayudarle en tener exito como un participante de la Seccion8.

Deconcentration Brochure - The Housing Choice Voucher Program allows you to select units of your choice. Shop wisely to ensure that you and your family locate a unit that best meets your needs. Here is our Deconcentration/Mobility Brochure that will assist you in making informed decisions.

It is our goal to assist all clients with every resource available to ensure not only your success in the program but also to provide you with tools to achieve self-sufficiency. Below are some links to information that may be helpful. Please contact our office if you have questions or require additional assistance.

Participant Resources

HCV Landlord/Owner’s Center

Landlord Listing:
List your Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental on the GoSection8.com website , paid for by the Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority. GoSection8.com is a national database of Section 8 - HCV rental units which allows clients to search for Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rentals. It also allows owners and landlords to list their properties online. Click the Online Services link for more information on this service and other online services brought to you by the Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority.

Online Landlord Vendor Payment Ledgers:
Online Landlord Vendor Payment Ledger information at your fingertips will be available through our new SNRHA Landlord Portal.

Information and Updates:
The Land Lord Brief (updated newsletter) will keep you posted on the latest from the land lord housing front.

Form HUD-52580-A:
This collection of information is authorized under Section 8 of the U.S. Housing Act of l937 (42 U.S.C. 1437f). The information is used to determine if a unit meets the housing quality standards of the Section 8 Rental Assistance Program. Click here to download form HUD-52580-A.

Automatic Deposits:
To authorize and request the SNRHA to deposit Housing Assistance Payments automatically to your account, you can download, fill out and submit the Automatic Deposit Form.

Intent to Vacate:
Both the tenant and the owner/manager MUST sign this form prior to the tenant vacating the unit. The tenant MUST provide a minimum of a 30-day written notice to their owner/manager or whatever timeline is noted within the lease. If this pertains to you, please fill out and submit the Intent to Vacate Form. If you decide to extend this notice to a date after the date on the notice, you must notify SNRHA staff in writing prior to the date.

Housing Choice Voucher Owner’s Guide:

SNRHA has developed the attached brochure to assist you in understanding this program. After you review, please contact our office at (702) 477-3100 if you have additional questions. See the HCV Owner’s Guide.

Owners' Resources:
It is our goal to provide our Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) owners and management team with every resource to ensure that you understand the program policies and have easy access to tools and information. Here are some items that should be useful.

© Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority
340 N 11th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101-1897
Phone: 702-477-3100
| TDD: 702-387-1898 | Fax: 702-435-3039 | Office Hours: 8 A.M. to 5 P.M., Monday - Friday
Web Design by VegasGraphics.com

Home | About Us | Housing Services | Procurement | Public Notice | Employment
Equal Housing Opportunity Accessibility