Home Page | Accessibility | Contact Us


Normal View Large Veiw Extra Large View



SNRHA General Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Housing Authority?
Housing authorities are public corporations with boards appointed by the local government. Their mission is to provide affordable housing to low- and moderate-income people. In addition to public housing, housing authorities also provide other types of subsidized housing.

What does subsidized housing mean?
The federal government and some states fund programs that offer subsidized housing-dwellings that are meant to be affordable to low income persons--to qualified citizens.
The U.S. government offers different types of subsidized housing: private and public housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8). Private subsidized housing gets funding from the government to lower prices. Public dwellings are low-cost apartments managed by the government. Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) allow people to use a housing credit toward any qualifying home, if the landlord accepts this as payment.

Rental Assistance Housing Choice Voucer (Section 8) Frequently Asked Questions

What is Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance?
Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance is a government subsidy that allows eligible families to rent in the private market and pay approximately 30% to 40% of their income toward rent. The SNRHA pays the remainder of the rent directly to the landlord.

Can anyone apply for Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance?
Yes, however, please check the SNRHA "how to apply web page" regarding HCV, Public Housing, and Affordable waitlist statuses and applications. For more information about these programs, please call the SNRHA’s Admissions Department at (702) 451-8041.

Can I apply for both rental assistance Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) and the family public housing program?
Yes, if both wait lists were open.

Can I apply for both rental assistance Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) and elderly/disabled housing?
Yes, if both lists were open.

What is a client number?
A client number is a number assigned to every SNRHA applicant, participant and resident. This number is requested by SNRHA staff anytime an applicant, participant or resident speaks with a SNRHA staff member. It can also be used to check on an applicant's place on the waiting list. This number will also be on all correspondence from our agency after you are placed on the waiting list. The same number will stay with you after you receive housing assistance.

Does the SNRHA check an applicant's past history in order to determine if he/she is eligible for housing?
Yes. The SNRHA checks an applicant's past rental history, when he/she applies for our public housing, voucher program and/or affordable housing program. We also conduct a criminal records check to help determine if an applicant is eligible for housing, this may include fingerprints. If an applicant is determined not eligible for housing, or a participant is terminated or resident is evicted, he/she has the right to file an appeal with the SNRHA’s hearing office. For more information on filing an appeal, you may contact SNRHA’s Hearing Officer at (702) 922-7008.

How do I find out the status of my application or my place on the waiting list?
If you are an applicant, you may call (866) 569-6304 to check your application status. Please have your client number or social security number ready.

How long does it take to receive a voucher from the SNRHA?
The amount of time it takes to receive a rental assistance voucher depends on funding availability based on either new funding or turnover of vouchers. Once funding is available, the next applicants on the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) wait list are pulled by date/time of application and by highest preference points. Prior to a voucher being issued, the client and all family members must be certified as eligible. Please note, if you owe a Housing Authority a debt, you cannot be housed. Due to high demands for rental assistance under this program, it’s hard to predict how long the wait will be once you are on the waitlist. However, the average wait has been 2-3 years.

How long is a rental assistance voucher good for?
Once a voucher is issued, a participant has 60 days to find a suitable unit before the voucher expires. The elderly or disabled have 90 days. However, under certain situations, SNRHA will provide an extension of another 30 days. The request for the extension must be received PRIOR to the voucher expiration date. No extension can be provided after the voucher expires and you will NOT have a right to a hearing.

Can I use rental assistance (HCV) to move outside of Las Vegas/Clark County?
Yes. Rental assistance (HCV) may be used in any area in the United States that has a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. Click here for our Portability Brochure

What size unit is appropriate for my household?

Housing Choice Voucher assistance recipients are required to follow certain occupancy standards that limit the number of residents according to the number of bedrooms. The following is a basic guide (exceptions follow):
Family size/ Eligible for:
1 person/ 1 BR or studio
2 people/ 1 BR
3 people/ 2 BR
4 people/ 2 BR
5 people/ 3 BR
6 people/ 3 BR
7 people/ 4 BR

Basically, the occupancy standards are two people per bedroom. A living room will not be counted as a bedroom, except in studios. The head of household and spouse or partner shall be entitled to one bedroom. Household member of different gender (other than the head/co-head or spouse) shall be provided a separate bedroom. Voucher sizes are not increased when adding adult members into the household whether the adult is a family member or not. Adult is defined as 18-years of age or older.

After I receive my voucher, how do I begin receiving rental assistance?
To begin receiving housing assistance, you must do the following:
Find a unit you'd like to rent from a landlord willing to participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program. You can find units on your own or use our GoSection8.com unit listing system. Please read your Deconcentration Brochure carefully to ensure you make an informed choice in your unit selection. You will be required to stay in your unit for one year.

Complete and sign a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) with the landlord. The RFTA packet provided by SNRHA at your briefing MUST be completed in all areas. All required documents listed on the RFTA cover checklist must be attached, including a signed lease by you and your potential owner/manager with no effective date. The effective date cannot be prior to a passed HQS Initial Inspection of your unit. Please ensure that you receive and keep any receipts for security deposits and understand the terms for receiving these funds back if you are not approved for the unit by either the owner or SNRHA. Call your SNRHA caseworker for an appointment to submit an RFTA packet once complete. You cannot drop it off without seeing your caseworker as this requires an appointment. Once we receive the RFTA, the average time to schedule inspection is 10 days. We will not schedule an inspection prior to determining rent reasonableness and confirming that the utilities are connected. If you move into the unit “prior” to a passed Initial HQS inspection, you will be responsible for 100% of the rent for any days prior to the passed inspection and approved contract.

If the rent is within the payment standards (See Rental Assistance Payment Standards) defined by the SNRHA, or if it does not exceed 40% of your adjusted income, an inspection of the unit by the SNRHA will be scheduled. You will receive a call to inform you of the date and time range for the inspection.

What will I be expected to pay for rent?
Rental assistance Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) recipients are expected to pay 30% to 40% of their adjusted total household income for rent. All income changes must be reported in writing within 10 days of any change.

Does the SNRHA pay my rental assistance to me or my landlord?
The SNRHA pays your rental assistance to the landlord on the first of each month. You must also pay your share of the rent each month. Failure to do so can lead to termination of your rental assistance.

What happens if my income or family composition changes after I begin receiving rental assistance?
Whenever your income changes or you have a change in family composition (persons moving in or out of your household, including a new spouse) you are required to report the change to your SNRHA caseworker in writing within 10 days. The SNRHA will determine if and when a change in rent is required. You are not allowed to move anyone into your unit without prior written approval except a child that is yours by birth, adoption or foster care. This includes a spouse or adult children. Please remember to notify your caseworker immediately of a request to add a family member and your landlord/owner, as both must approve the addition.

How often is my income reviewed?
Every household that receives housing assistance must undergo an annual recertification. You will receive a notice regarding this approximately 60 days prior to your scheduled recertification date. We will also send you forms that you are required to complete and return in order to verify your income and continued eligibility for the program. When you receive this request for information, you must respond by the due dates stated in the letter and have the documents completed. If you have questions or need assistance with completing the packet, please arrive a few minutes earlier. Failure to attend your appointment may lead to termination of your rental assistance. Also, approximately 90 days prior to the anniversary date of your last HQS Inspection, we will schedule and conduct a re-inspection of your unit. This date will change each year. You or someone 18-years of age or older MUST be home for this inspection. Failure to ensure entrance and an adult presence may result in the termination of your assistance.

What happens if my unit needs repairs?
You should notify your landlord immediately if your unit is in need of a repair. If violations are found at the time of an initial or annual inspection conducted by the SNRHA, a letter will be sent to your landlord with a copy to you. The violations must be corrected within 30 days for non-emergencies and 24 hours for emergencies. Our office will conduct a re-inspection to verify that the items have been corrected. If you contact your landlord/owner and they do not respond within a reasonable timeframe, please contact your SNRHA caseworker. Please ensure that you have called the manager/owner prior to contacting our office for any repairs. Utilities must be kept on in the unit at all times.

How long can I remain in the rental assistance Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) program?
Current program rules allow you to continue to receive housing assistance as long as you are income-eligible and as long as you fulfill the tenant obligations established by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the program. You will lose your assistance when your income rises to the point that your portion of the rent matches or exceeds the full amount of the rent for six months or if you are terminated from the program for violating the rules, including being evicted for cause.

What if I want to move at the end of my lease?
Before you can move to another unit and continue to receive your housing assistance, you must complete the tenant obligations under your current lease. Note, the first year you cannot move. This includes giving your landlord a proper 30-day notice to vacate and calling your caseworker for an appointment to submit the vacant notice which must be signed and dated by your manager/owner. If you have problems getting it signed, contact your caseworker for assistance and guidance. Do not mail or fax this document. You must meet with your caseworker so a voucher to move can be issued. Intent to Vacate Notice

What if my landlord/owner wants me to move?
If you are a rental assistance participant, your landlord/owner may request that you move at the end of your lease term. If you receive a written notice to move, call your caseworker for an appointment. It is very important for you to fulfill your lease obligations and pay your rent on time each month. If you violate any of your lease provisions, your landlord may serve a notice for lease violations. In this case you may no longer be eligible for the program. Contact your caseworker as soon as you receive any written notice from your landlord.

Applying for Housing Frequently Asked Questions

My income or address changed. What is required?
If you have a change of address, you must submit the change in writing to the attention of the Admissions Department within 10 days of the change. Interest Update Form
If you cannot be contacted at the last known address submitted, the Housing Authority will withdraw your application from the wait list, and you will have to reapply.

What happens after I apply?
Your application will be screened to see if you are eligible for our programs.

If you pre-qualify:

A confirmation letter will be sent notifying you that you have been placed on the wait list.

Once your name is added to the wait list, you must wait for your name to reach the top of the wait list before your name is selected and final program eligibility is determined.

The confirmation letter (which will be the first letter you receive after we input your completed application) will be the only correspondence from our agency for sometime. It could be 12-18 months or longer before you receive a letter to come in to be certified as eligible. It is important that you immediately notify SNRHA in writing of any changes in income, household composition or mailing address during this wait period.

What happens after I am certified as eligible?
You can find out your ranking on the wait list by calling (866) 569-6304. This information is available 24 hours a day/seven days a week.

A letter will be mailed with your appointment time and date when your name reaches the top of the list and we require more certified eligible families to fill upcoming vacancies. This letter will outline all items that you must bring to your appointment, so please read it carefully.

After your appointment, we are required by federal regulations to verify all information, including income. Staff will also conduct a criminal screening for all members of the household 18 and older. You will be notified in writing, if you are approved or not and the new estimated wait period for a unit offer.

What are the requirements after I get a unit offer?
The Admissions staff will send you an offer letter when a unit becomes available that meets your family’s needs. Offers are made according to unit size requirements and date/time at which your application is certified as eligible and your ranking among other certified eligible applicants.

Once you receive an offer letter, you must make contact with the property manager at the site where the unit is located within 5 calendar days. Our office will attempt to reach you by phone to alert you of the offer.

SNRHA has developed a Things You Should Know Form
Please review and contact the Admissions staff with any additional questions.

Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Owner Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) and how does it work?
The Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) is a rental assistance program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It is designed to assist eligible low-income families rent housing in the private market by paying some of their rental costs. The Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority administers the program in Clark County. Our responsibilities include determining family eligibility; approving units, leases, and rents; determining the family’s rent portion based on their income; ensuring that the families and owners comply with program rules; inspecting units and re-determining family eligibility annually; and making housing assistance payments to owners.

What are the benefits of being a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Owner?

  • You receive a guaranteed monthly payment on the first of every month via direct deposit.
  • You retain total control. You can collect a security deposit, use your own lease, and screen tenants according to your own suitability criteria.
  • You receive free annual inspections to ensure maximum property upkeep.
  • Most importantly – by participating in the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program, you are helping low-income families obtain housing.

Am I eligible to become a participating owner? What are the obligations for a Section 8 Housing Choice owner?
To become a participating owner, all you need to do is lease your rental unit to a Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) holder. Generally, owners cannot rent to family members under the HCV Program, except as a reasonable accommodation for a disabled family member for a unit that is 504 Accessible. SNRHA will require you to provide proof of ownership (recorded deed) and you cannot charge more for your unit to a HCV participant than to unassisted families. Owners debarred by HUD or SNRHA for fraud and other program violations may be denied participation.

How do I list my property to Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) holders?
SNRHA offers a property listing and locator service through GoSection8.com. There is no fee for this service unless you elect to sign up for a premiere packet which may include virtual tours of your unit. All SNRHA voucher holders are also informed of this site at their briefings.

Where can I find out more information about the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) Program?
For more information regarding this program download our HCV Owners' Handbook. You can call our office at (702) 922-6900 to request a hard copy or stop by our office at 380 N. Maryland Parkway, Las Vegas Nevada 89101 to pick up a hand book. Our office hours are Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm, except holidays.

© Southern Nevada Regional Housing Authority
340 N 11th Street, Las Vegas, NV 89101-1897
Phone: 702-477-3100
| TDD: 702-387-1898 | Fax: 702-435-3039 | Office Hours: 8 A.M. to 5 P.M., Monday - Friday
Web Design by VegasGraphics.com

Home | About Us | Housing Services | Procurement | Public Notice | Employment
Equal Housing Opportunity Accessibility